Welcome to sthelens.gov.uk

Best place to find information and services that your council provides...

Personal Licences

A personal licence allows an individual the authority to provide the sale or supply of alcohol.

All establishments with a premises licence that provide the sale of alcohol will require at least one personal licence holder, known as the DPS, where one of their activities is to provide the sale or supply of alcohol.

Once a personal licence is obtained it is valid for life.

We do need to be notified if you change your name or address or the licence is no longer valid. 

Before completing the application please view and read our Privacy Policy.

If you have changed your name or address you will need to complete the application form and pay the appropriate fee.

The Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) is the person who is named on the premises licence (this may not be the applicant), the DPS must be a personal licence holder. The DPS is the individual who singularly responsible for the operation of the premises, usually the manager of the establishment.
Who needs a Personal Licence?

Any premises (expect certain clubs) that sell or supply alcohol will require at least one personal licence holder, also one of the personal licence holders must be named on the Premises licence as the Designated Premises Supervisor. Certain club premises, for example Church parish clubs do not require a licence to sell alcohol if they meet certain criteria’s.


To obtain a personal licence the applicant must meet the following criteria: they must be aged 18 or over, have not been convicted of any relevant or foreign offences, relevant offences can be found under schedule 4 of the Licensing Act 2003, have not forfeited a personal licence within a period of five years previous to making an application and hold an accredited licensing qualification, please find a list of accredited licensing qualifications here.

Relevant offences refers to a list of offences in the Licensing Act 2003, if an applicant had committed one of these offences the application, renewal or conversation of a personal licence could be rejected by the conviction rule. The offences can be found within schedule 4 of the Licensing Act 2003, offences include:

  • Serious crime
  • Serious dishonesty
  • Involving controlled drugs
  • Certain sexual offences
  • Offences created by the act.

Personal licence applications should contain the following:

  • A completed application form
  • A completed disclosure of convictions and civil immigration penalties and declaration.
  • Two passport sized photographs, one of which should be endorsed on the back by one of the following: solicitor notary, teacher, lecturer or any other professional person to a true likeness.
  • The fee of £37.00, you can pay the appropriate fee via cheque (to St Helens Council) or card payment.
  • A basic disclosure conviction form, this should be dated no longer than one calendar month before the application, please visit the Gov.uk site to obtain a basic disclosure.
  • Accredited licensing qualification certificate.
  • Documents which demonstrate entitlement to work in the UK.

You can submit Personal Licence Applications to our address:

Licensing & Land Charges, Wesley House, Corporation Street, St Helens, Merseyside, WA10 1HF

An application would only be given to the police for review if an offence was disclosed on the application or the disclosure certificate revealed an offence. The Police are the only authority that can object to the application; they would do this when they felt that the granting of a licence would undermine the crime prevention objectives that are present in the act. This would need to be received by the St Helens Council Licensing Department within fourteen days. The applicant would then be presented with the chance to go in front of a licensing committee at a hearing.

We would notify the Police if this was a required step in the application process, the applicant would not need to do this.
If there are no objections and the application is fine and meets all the criteria provided above, the application will be processed.