Welcome to sthelens.gov.uk

Best place to find information and services that your council provides...


Licensing Act 2003 Fee's and Charges 2016 - 2017 (1st April 2016 - 31st March 2017)

These fees relate to new applications or variation applications for premises licences or club premises certificates.

The fee payable is based on the non-domestic rateable value of your premises. You can find out the non-domestic rateable value by visiting the Valuation Office Agency website.

Rateable Value


£0 to £4,300


£4,301 to £33,000


£33,001 to £87,000


£87,001 to £125,000


£125,001 and above


Fees to accompany applications for new premises licences and club premises certificates or variation applications for existing licences are:

Rateable Value Bands


Application Fee Due

£100 £190 £315 £450 £635 

A multiplier is applied to those premises in bands D and E (This applies to premises licences only) where they are exclusively or primarily in the business of selling alcohol for consumption on the premises:


D (X2) E (X3)

Application Fee Due

£900 £1,905

In addition to the above, the following fee will also be due for large venues;


Number In Attendance At Any One Time

Additional Fee

5,000 to 9,999


10,000 to 14,999


15,000 to 19,999


20,000 to 29,999


30,000 to 39,999


40,000 to 49,999


50,000 to 59,999


60,000 to 69,999


70,000 to 79,999


80,000 to 89,999


90,000 and over


Regulations made under the above Act provide that an annual fee is payable on the anniversary of the first grant of the premises licence/club premises certificate.

The premises licence/club premises certificate holder is responsible for payment of the fee, regardless of whether the holder has left the premises or intends to close the business.

Rateable Value Bands A B C D E
Annual Fee Due £70 £180 £295 £320 £350

A multiplier is applied to those premises in bands D and E (this applies to premises licences only) where they are exclusively or primarily in the business of selling alcohol for consumption on the premises:

Band D (X2) E (X3)
Application Fee Due £640 £1,050


The Licensing Act 2003 requires the Council to suspend a premises licence/club premises certificate if the holder fails to pay the annual fee when it is due. A licence/

certificate that has been suspended does not have effect to authorise licensable activities.  The suspension will only be lifted when the Licensing Authority receives payment of the outstanding fee.

If you believe there has been an administrative error, or you dispute liability for the fee, you must notify us on or before the date the annual fee is due. This will allow a 21-day grace period to give the Licensing Authority and licence holder opportunity to resolve the dispute.

Legally, the fee is owed by the premises licence/club certificate holder who held the licence/certificate at the time it was suspended. If you no longer wish to hold a licence/certificate, it is therefore important you surrender the licence/certificate prior to the date the fee is due, using the Notice available on the Council’s website.

The Licensing Authority will also be able to charge other fees in relation to their duties, most notably for temporary events and personal licences:

Application for a grant or renewal of personal licence £37
Temporary event notice £21
Theft, loss, etc. of premises licence or summary £10.50
Application for a provisional statement where premises being built, etc. £315
Notification of change of name or address £10.50
Application to vary licence to specify individual as premises supervisor £23
Application for transfer of premises licence £23
Interim authority notice following death etc. of licence holder £23
Theft, loss etc. of certificate or summary £10.50
Notification of change of name or alteration of rules of club £10.50
Change of relevant registered address of club £10.50
Theft, loss etc. of temporary event notice £10.50
Theft, loss etc. of personal licence £10.50
Duty to notify change of name or address £10.50
Right of freeholder etc. to be notified of licensing matters £21
Minor Variations £89


Premises Licence New or Variation    £80
Temporary Events Notice £20-£40
Provisional Statement  £80
Variation to Licence  £60
Licence Transfer £20
General Licensing Advice £40
Licensing Application Pack  £10

There is an exemption from the payment of fees in relation to the provision of regulated entertainment at church halls, chapel halls or premises of a similar nature, village halls, parish or community halls, or other premises of a similar nature. The costs associated with these licences will be met by central Government. If, however, the licence also authorises the use of the premises for the supply of alcohol or the provision of late night refreshment, a fee will be required for those activities.

Schools and sixth form colleges are also exempt from the fees associated with the authorisation of regulated entertainment where the entertainment is provided by and at the school or college and for the purposes of the school or college.