Welcome to sthelens.gov.uk

Best place to find information and services that your council provides...


What should I do if I have a problem with a licensed premises?

To make a complaint about a licensed premise such as a pub, club, late-night café or shop, please refer to the information below. 

We take very seriously any complaints received about our Licensed Premises.  It is important that you direct your complaint to the service best able to address your concerns.

In the first instance you should consider discussing the issues informally with the premises licence holder or designated premises supervisor is applicable.  In many cases they will not be aware of the problem and this will give them the opportunity to resolve the issues. 

If this does not lead to an improvement then you should contact the council and report the incident.

  • For general concerns of any Licenced Premises, noise at a licenced premises, underage sales or crime and disorder you can either email our team or log a complaint through the Contact us system.

You should also keep a written record detailing each incident and provide a true and factual account of the incident, including your own conduct. 

This should include:

  • Premises name and address.
  • Date and time you were affected,
  • A description of the nature of your concern(s).
  • Your name, address, email address and daytime contact number.
  • Details of how long the problem(s) have been occurring.
  • Details of the date and times that the problem is most likely to occur.
  • Details of what steps if any you have already taken, such as contacting the premises.
  • If you have contacted the premises what was their response.
  • Have you gathered any evidence to support your complaint.
  • Do your neighbours have the same or similar concerns. 

We aim to conclude investigations as quickly as possible; however; the length of time taken to conclude the investigation depends on how much evidence is required.  You should also be aware that you may be requested to support your case in person at a Licensing Sub-Committee should this be necessary.

Please view and read our Privacy Policy.

Frequently asked questions.


Will my details be passed onto the premises?

No, not without your prior permission.

In most cases the Licensing Authority will make the premises aware that a complaint has been made, this is often done by contacting the designated premises supervisor (licensee) of the premises and the premises licence holder, details of the complaint would be outlined in this initial contact. When investigating your complaint your details would only be shared if necessary with other Council departments or Responsible Authorities.


How will the Council respond to my concerns?

The Council as licensing Authority works closely with other Responsible Authorities and Council Departments with a view to resolving your concerns as soon as is possible. There are a number of options that can be taken, these include:

Bringing your concerns directly to the attention of a relevant Responsible Authority or Council Department who may be best placed to deal with your concerns.

Contact the premises outlining your concerns, reminding them of their responsibilities under the provisions of the licensing Act 2003 and their requirement to promote each of the licensing objectives, these being.

The prevention of crime and disorder.

The prevention of public nuisance.

Public safety.

The protection of children from harm.

The Council cannot investigate anonymous of frivolous complaints.