Welcome to sthelens.gov.uk

Best place to find information and services that your council provides...

Health and safety at work – investigations

Inspections of work-related accidents are dealt with in the following ways:

  • Inspections of business premises such as offices, shops and warehouses to ensure conditions are satisfactory and safe.
  • Investigation of accidents at work that involve either staff or the general public.
  • Investigation of complaints relating to health and safety.
  • We provide information to businesses and members of the public to increase general awareness of health and safety.
  • We do not deal with council buildings and employees, manufacturing, construction or food industries.
  • Our food team deals with health and safety in the food premises industry, except in food manufacturing, which is dealt with by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).
  • Council buildings, manufacturing and construction industries are also dealt with by the Health and Safety Executive.

You can find more information on the Health and Safety Executive website.

The law requires certain incidents to be reported to health and safety enforcement authorities. These include:

  • Any fatal accident occurring on the premises
  • Accidents involving a member of the public who is taken to hospital
  • Accidents resulting in a member of staff having a major injury
  • Accidents resulting in a member of staff suffering from a more than three-day injury
  • A doctor's notification of a reportable work-related disease e.g. occupational dermatitis or asthma
  • A dangerous occurrence

Incidents must be reported to the Incident Contact Centre, and can be done via a number of ways.

The HSE website explains in more detail.

Complaints about working conditions are investigated by the health and safety team in a sensitive and confidential manner. Such matters can usually be resolved by advising the employer, but where formal action is required then it will be taken.

If the health and safety team are unable to deal with a complaint then every effort is made to give the details of a body that can.

Contact us on 01744 676299 or environmentalhealth@sthelens.gov.uk.