Welcome to sthelens.gov.uk

Best place to find information and services that your council provides...

Universal credit

Universal Credit is a monthly payment to help you with your living costs.  It is administered and paid by the Department for Work and Pensions. 

It will eventually replace the following working-age benefits:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Working Tax Credit

You may be able to claim Universal Credit depending on your circumstances and the postcode area you live in.  If you are not eligible to claim Universal Credit you will still be able to apply for the above benefits.

If you pay rent, your housing costs will normally be paid with your Universal Credit any you will no longer claim Housing Benefit from the Council. 

You may however still be eligible for help with your Council Tax through the Council Tax Reduction Scheme


Universal Credit full service is the new digital service.  It is available to new applicants living within the following postcode areas in St Helens:

Available From Postcodes

L34;  L35 3;  L35 7

WA2;  WA3 1;  WA3 7

WA5;  WA8 3;  WA8 5

WN4;  WN5 7;  WN8

18 July 2018

L35 0;  L35 4;  L35 6;  L35 8;  L35 9

WA9;  WA10

WA11 0;  WA11 7 to WA11 9



For a temporary period, you will be unable to claim Universal Credit if you have 3 or more children and you have not claimed Universal Credit in the last six months.  You should apply for other benefits instead including Housing Benefit.

Visit www.gov.uk/universal-credit/eligibility for further information

If you live in supported or temporary accommodation, you will continue to receive help with your rent via Housing Benefit.

How to Claim

Claim online at www.gov.uk/universal-credit/how-to-claim. If you do not have direct access to the internet you can visit one of the many internet access points within St Helens at find my nearest centre or use your own device and link to a local wifi hotspot free of charge.

Universal Credit helpline:
Telephone: 0800 328 9344
Textphone: 0800 328 1344

More information and Advice

For any further information please visit www.gov.uk/universalcredit

Other Awards

If you qualify for Universal Credit you may also be entitled to other awards:

If you are in rented accommodation

If you are in rented accommodation please remember that any housing costs will normally be paid directly to you and not your landlord.  You will need to make arrangements to pay your rent.

Local social housing landlords contact details: 

Helena Homes
Tel:  01744 637383,
Email onecall@helenapartnerships.co.uk
or visit Helena Central 4 Corporation Street, St Helens, WA9 1LD

Riverside Housing
Tel: 0345 111 0000
Email: info@riverside.org.uk

Your Housing Group
Tel: 0345 345 0272
Email: response@yourhousinggroup.co.uk

Tel: 0344 736 0066
Email: info@regenda.org.uk

Affinty Sutton
Tel: 0300 100 0303

Sanctuary Housing
Tel: 0800 131 3348
Email: contactus@sanctuary-housing.co.uk

Privately rented properties

If you live in a privately rented property or you are a private landlord you can find out more information about how Universal Credit and claiming housing costs in the Universal Credit and rented housing: guide for landlords