Welcome to sthelens.gov.uk

Best place to find information and services that your council provides...

Making a claim

Help with paying rent
You can no longer make a new claim for Housing Benefit in St Helens unless:

  • You have more than two dependent children
  • You live in supported accommodation (this is accommodation where your landlord provides you with care support or supervision)
  • You live in temporary accommodation (for example because you are homeless)
  • You are a couple, and one member of that couple has reached state pension credit age.

If you cannot claim Housing Benefit you will need to claim your housing costs from Universal Credit. Your housing costs will be paid to you by the Department for Work and Pensions, along with other money to cover your basic living expenses. If you need to make a claim for Universal Credit, claims must be made online at www.gov.uk/universalcredit/how-to-claim

Help with paying Council Tax
If you are liable for Council Tax, help towards paying this is not included in your Universal Credit payment. You will need to apply for a Council Tax Reduction by completing the application form below.

Pension age claimants
If you and your partner, if you have one, have reached state pension credit age, you are not affected by the Universal Credit rules and should continue to make a claim for Housing Benefit and/or a Council Tax Reduction below.

If you need to make a claim for Pension Credit, you can claim by contacting the Pension Service on 0800 99 1234.

You can make a claim for Housing Benefit or apply for a Council Tax Reduction by completing the Council’s claim form.

Before we can pay you Housing Benefit, you will need to provide the following information along with your claim form:

  • proof of your identity, and if you have a partner, proof of their identity too
  • proof that you have a National Insurance number, and if you have a partner, for them too
  • proof of all income you and your partner, if you have one, receive
  • proof of all income for anyone else who lives with you. This includes your children, your grown up son or daughter or other relative or friend
  • proof of any savings, investments, stocks, shares or other capital held by you, your partner or your children. This includes bank and building society
  • proof of your rent