Welcome to sthelens.gov.uk

Best place to find information and services that your council provides...

Local Housing Allowance

If you rent your home from a private landlord, in most cases you will be paid Local Housing Allowance (LHA). LHA is the new way of paying housing benefit and gives tenants more choice in where they wish to live.

Local Housing Allowance will usually be paid to you, the tenant, and it will be your responsibility to pay your rent on time to your landlord. 

You cannot get Local Housing Allowance if:  

  • you are a tenant of a housing association or registered charity
  • you live in most types of supported housing
  • your tenancy started before 15 January 1989
  • you live in a caravan, houseboat or a hostel
  • tenancies where the rent officer decides that a substantial part of the rent is for board and attendance, such as a hotel accommodation. 

LHA makes it easier for private tenants to find out in advance how much rent may be covered by it. 

If you think you may be entitled to Local Housing Allowance, you can find out how much you can get before you rent a property. How much you will get depends on:  

  • who lives with you
  • which area you want to live in
  • how much money you have coming in
  • what savings you have
  • the amount of rent you have to pay 

The LHA rate you are allowed is based on the number of bedrooms you, and your family (if you have one), are allowed, and not on the number of bedrooms you are actually renting. In addition, different LHA rates apply for different areas of St Helens, these are known as Broad Rental Market Areas.

Click here to view the current LHA rates.

If you need help in working out your LHA entitlement, you do not know your postcode, or you are unsure how much LHA you may be paid, check out our frequently asked questions (FAQs) on this website. 

Housing Benefit / Council Tax Reduction Bedroom Calculator.

No available links.

No available documents.