Welcome to sthelens.gov.uk

Best place to find information and services that your council provides...

Change of Circumstances - Reporting Changes

You must tell us if there is any change in the information we have used to decide on your entitlement to benefit straight away, even if you have already told someone else like the Jobcentre, Department for Work and Pensions or your landlord.

  • Change of address, or where you will be temporary absent from your home, for example, such as going into hospital or respite care, or where you will be absent outside of Great Britain for 4 weeks or more. You don't need to tell us about short term visits to relatives, friends or holidays that are for less than 4 weeks.
  • Changes in the amount of rent that you are charged, or a change of landlord.
  • If you start work or change employment for you  and any member of your household.
  • Changes in the number or status of any household members, for example, birth of a child, child leaving school, or anyone leaving or joining the household.
  • Changes in either the amount or type of income received by any household member, this includes awards of new benefits, for example, Personal Independence Payments 
  • Increases or decreases in your capital (savings) other than minor day to day fluctuations.
  • If you start to receive Carer Allowance or have an underlying entitlement to Carers Allowance, or if someone starts to receive this benefit for looking after you.

This is not an exhaustive list, if you are unsure if your change in circumstances will affect your benefit entitlement, please contact us for advice on 01744 676666.

  • Please tell us in writing and give us your benefits reference number whenever possible.
  • Tell us what has changed and the date that it changed from.
  • Provide evidence of the change, for example, notice of rent increase, pension slips, wage slips if your wages have increased.
  • You can telephone the benefit action line on (01744) 676666, however you would generally be required to follow this with written confirmation and evidence of the change.
  • You can also complete the online change in circumstances form and attach evidence to tell us about your change.
  • You may be paid too much benefit, which you will have to repay;
  • If the change means you are entitled to more benefit, we may not be able to award any back-pay if you do not inform us of the change within one month of it happening; and;
  • You could face criminal charges.

If you tell us of a change more than one month after it has happened, you may not get any extra benefit due to you until the Monday after you actually tell us. This is unless you have a good reason for telling us late.

If you are late telling us of a change that causes you to have less benefit, we will still recover any overpaid benefit from you, from the day of the change.

If we alter your benefit from a date later than the change and you disagree with this, you may ask us to revise our decision. See Benefits appeals for further information. 

If the change in your circumstances is that you are changing address, you will need to inform us in writing, or use the form below. You must do this as soon as possible, or you may lose benefit. If you have good reason why you can't do this straightaway, please ring us and tell us why and we can treat this contact as the date of claim as long as you then put this in writing within one calendar month.

You must also provide proof of your new rent.

Temporary Change of Address

If your Housing Association temporarily moves you to another address, whilst repairs are carried out at your home, you must complete a new application form.  You must do this as soon as possible, or you may lose benefit.  If you have a good reason why you can't do this straightaway, please ring us and tell us why.  We can then treat this contact as the date of claim as long as you complete and return a form within one calendar month.


Income Support/Jobseekers Allowance has stopped

If Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based) or Income Support has ceased then you must tell us this as soon as possible. If you have good reason why you can't do this straightaway, please ring us and tell us why and we can treat this contact as the date of claim as long as you then confirm this in writing within one calendar month.

You must also provide proof of your new income and any savings you may have.

What happens if there are changes in my income or savings?

If your savings and/or income has changed (not Income Support or Job Seekers Allowance) you should contact us, notify us either in writing or directly. We will require you to provide proof.

What happens if there is a change in my rent? 

If your rent charges change then you should confirm the rent changes in writing. Proof of the new rent level will be required.

What happens if a person who lives in my home has a change in their circumstances?

If you or your partner leaves the household, then a new form should be completed by the person remaining in the home. It will be likely that your income will have changed and details and proof will be required.

If a non-dependant or a dependant leaves the household, you need to contact us to let us know what date they left and their forwarding address.

This is also the case if a boarder, tenant, sub-tenant or carer leaves.

The benefit section may not be able to remove someone from an address without details of their forwarding address and if you are unable to provide a forwarding address you will have to provide an explanation.

We need to be informed of all changes in your circumstances as soon as possible. If you delay, you may lose benefit.