Allotments in St.Helens
There are 17 council allotment sites in the Borough of St.Helens. Two of these are garden tenanted sites where the plots are mostly rented by the tenants of the houses that adjoin the site. All the other sites have plots which are available to rent. Three of these sites are self managed and you will need to contact the site secretary to be added to the waiting list.
All our allotment sites have waiting lists. We can add your details on upto 3 allotment site waiting lists of your choice, but you are only entitled to one plot.
How do I apply for an allotment?
Use one of the methods below:
Parks, Landscape & Street Scene Administration Office. Tel: (01744) 67 6123 or (01744) 67 6809
Contact Centre. Tel: (01744) 67 6789
print and complete the 'Allotment Application form' and post to:
Parks, Landscape & Street Scene
St Helens Council
How much is the allotment rent?
- As from 1 April 2013 the rent for a plot will be 20p per square metre.
- Plots vary in size, but based on an average plot of 250 square metres, the rent would be £50.
- Half plots are also available on some sites.
- The rent is due in April of each year.
Am I entitled to a discount on my rent?
You will be entitled to a 50% concession if you are over 60 or in receipt of certain benefits. You can obtain a concession form from the council's Contact Centre at Wesley House. This can only be submitted after receiving your invoice and must be accompanied by proof of your entitlement.
Can I have chickens on a horticultural plot?
Yes, you can have up to 6 chickens on a horticultural plot. You cannot have cockerels or waterfowl. You must apply to the Council to keep chickens and you must provide adequate housing and care.
Council Managed Allotment Sites:
- Ashtons Green Community Allotment,Moorfoot Road, Parr WA9 2DE – both horticultural plots & poultry plots on this site
- Bertram Street Allotment, Newton-le-Willows - horticultural plots
- Cabbage Hall Allotment,Hard Lane, Windle - horticultural plots
- Eccleston Old Lane Allotment, Hazel Grove,St Helens- both horticultural plots & poultry plots on this site
- Havannah Lane Allotment, Winter Grove, Parr - horticultural plots
- Kentmere Avenue Allotment, Carr Mill - horticultural plots
- Mesnes Park Allotment,Sanderling Road,Newton-le-Willows - horticultural plots
- Milton Street Allotment, Sutton Manor - horticultural plots
- Nutgrove Allotment,Scholes Lane, Thatto Heath - horticultural plots
- Parr Depot Allotment,Bedford Street, Parr - horticultural plots
- Recreation Street Allotment, Parr - horticultural plots
- Walkers Lane Allotment, Sutton Manor - 46 horticultural plots
Self Managed Allotment Sites
HarlowAllotment, Harlow Close, Thatto Heath - horticultural plots
RainfordAllotment,Bushey Lane, Rainford - horticultural plots
Rob LaneAllotment, Newton-Willows - horticultural plots
If you are interested in a self managed allotment, you will need to contact the site secretary. Phone the Civic Pride Administration Office on 01744 676123 or 676809 for the contact details of the site secretary.
See documents 'A Plotholders Guide' and 'Our Advice to Allotment Holders'