If the death is referred to a coroner/ Taking a body out of England and Wales

In a small number of cases some deaths have to be reported to the coroner.  The coroner must then decide if there should be further investigation.
The registrar cannot register the death until the coroner's decision is made.

Situations reportable to the coroner

  • There is no doctor who can issue a medical certificate of cause of death
  • Where the deceased was not seen by the doctor issuing the medical certificate after death nor within 14 days before death.
  • Where the cause of death is unknown
  • Where the cause of death is believed to be unnatural or suspicious
  • Where the death occured during an operation or before recovery from an anaesthetic
  • Where the death is due to an industrial disease or industrial poisoning

 Taking a body out of England and Wales

If you need to move a body out of England and Wales, you need permission from the Coroner in the district where the body is. 

You will need to complete a Form of Notice - Form 104, available from the Register Office or the Coroner.  Once completed you need to take or send the form to the Coroner.  The Coroner will then take the notice and say when the body can be removed, this will usually be 4 clear days later. For more urgent requests you should contact the Coroner's office direct.  



Bookmark this page: